Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Let's Do the Time Suck, Again!


Tonight, I had plans. I was going to get so much work done and get to bed early. I planned on reading for Audience Research, finishing my logo assignment for Ad Copy & Art Direction, printing notes for International Marketing, AND write my case brief for Government and Media. Here's what really happened:
I added 2! new stations to Pandora, I played Food Friendzy (the only application worth your time on Facebook), checked my iGoogle account too many times to count, watched videos on YouTube, joined Ebay, and budgeted how much its going to cost me to buy a MacBook Pro. Now, I also got all my other work done, but I have been in the library (and Park School of Communications) for almost 6 hours.

This leads me to believe that social networks are just big time sucks. That's right, I said it. What benefit (besides $.50 for CampusFood from Food Friendzy) did I receive from these social networks?

Am I mistaken? Apparently so. Peter Black's Freedom to Differ blog refers to this aspect of social networking being a bad idea or a waste of time, but then goes on to compare it to other major inventions (like airplanes and the talking picture). OK, let's not get carried away. I mean comparing Facebook to Airplanes?

The marketing opportunity value of Facebook and other social networks is proving to be a force to be reckoned with. So maybe it's not such as much of a time suck as I thought.

No comments: